Sometimes, working in an office and trying to stay healthy at the same time can feel like fighting an uphill battle. It’s likely your job requires you to stay focused on a computer for long periods, which can jeopardize your health through poor posture, unhealthy food choices and sitting too much. Not to mention, sometimes you’re putting in long hours, which can be stressful and tiring.
It can be difficult to stay healthy when you’re just trying to get your work done. But, it’s important to take an honest look at your everyday schedule. When you get a better idea of how you spend each day by really taking inventory of it, you may find there are simple ways to improve how you feel.
Here are a few things to consider as you evaluate your routine:
- Are there windows of time during your work day that you can fit in a 5 minute walk?
- Are there a few minutes to spare where you can stretch (to keep joints and muscles flexible)?
- Are there stairs at your work that you can use instead of the elevator?
- Do you have enough time in the morning to park a little further away so you have a longer walk to the office?
- Do you live close enough that you could ride your bike to work?
These are just a few of the things to consider as you figure out your schedule and where you can allot your time. Don’t forget to spend some time thinking about your food options, too. What choices do you make for breakfast, snacks, and lunch? Could you be bringing in healthier options to have on hand when you get the munchies?
Make sure you’re choosing the best for your health. When you take time to evaluate how you live day to day you can find little tweaks to make, which can help you live healthier and feel better about yourself on the whole.